We have seen several thousand weddings and here are some ideas that we have seen work:
1. Be ready early. Nothing will stress a bride more than having to rush to the ceremony.
2. Get plenty of rest the night before the wedding.
3. Start your wedding on time. It is very rude to your guests if your wedding starts late.
4. Practice walking and more importantly practice sitting in your wedding dress. Trains, hoops and strapless gowns can be problematic. A few weeks before the wedding, wear your shoes for several hours making sure they are broken in and comfortable.
5. Limit your drinking (and also the groom’s). There is nothing more upsetting and disrespectful to your guests than a sloppy bride or groom. Some of our photographer friends have told us that pictures of “tipsy” brides or grooms sometimes do not turn out so well and wedding couples might not be too happy with the results.
6. Put your engagement ring on your right hand until after the exchange of rings.
7. Make an emergency kit and also have the groom and groomsmen carry small packets of tissues in their tux jackets.
8. Ask your officiant to keep the sermon to less than 3 minutes or better yet have no sermon at all.
9. Keep your ceremony short. Most guests will only remember your processionals, vows, first kiss and introduction as husband and wife.
10. Do not deal with any wedding day minutia. Let someone else deal with it. Your wedding will not be perfect. Something will go wrong and mistakes will happen and that is what you will remember and talk about years from now.
11. Keep smiling and enjoy your big day. Remember, it’s not about the wedding, it’s about the marriage.